Tracheal reconstruction/resection complications

 
post-op complications after tracheal resection

I am back in the hospital only three weeks after my trachea resection.  Things were going fine until two days ago when I noticed stridor sounds and increased coughing.  Uh oh…was my first thought.  This thing is re-stenosing and I was going to have to get another dilation or worse yet, a re-resection.

image
So here I am in the ICU at Emory University Hospital Midtown and am being administered strong IV steroids and breathing treatments.  They say I may have a shot of getting discharged tomorrow depending on how it looks when they scope me in the morning.
UPDATE *** I have a 50% narrowing of my trachea already…the resection failed. I am being admitted to the ICU and they’ve scheduled a dialiton for the morning.
I am actually more scared now than I was before I had the big tracheal resection surgery three weeks ago.  Those doctors at Emory University Otolaryngology assured me a 98% success rate and said patients rarely exhibit re-stenosis.

I followed all my aftercare instructions so I don’t know why this is happening to me. If anyone has any experience like this, please comment. Thanks.

Comments

Tracheal Stenosis - Latest Updates

Breathing treatments, inhalers, nebulizers, humidifiers - OH MY!

Breathing treatments, inhalers, nebulizers, humidifiers ?